|Season 1, Episode 1|
|Written by||Elly Brewer|
|Directed by||Craig Lines|
Goodbye Tracy Beaker
Liberty in the DG
Home Alone was the first episode of The Dumping Ground. It was orignally broadcast back-to-back with the following episode Liberty in the DG under the title "Freedom" on the CBBC Channel on 04/01/2013.
- The episode premiered at an ealier time of 16:30 as opposed to the regular time slot of 17:00.
- First appearance of Leanne Dunstan as Faith Davis.
- The original (back-to-back) broadcast deleted all lines and scenes referring to the girls wanting to go to the Year 12 party, as well as the scenes at the end where Gus leaves his room for a bath, is given things by everyone on the way and sees that he is orange.
- This is the only season premiere of the Dumping Ground to have footage cut on its original broadcast.
- Sapphire now lives "too far away" for Harry to visit her.
- In the shooting script available from the BBC's website, after Gus discovers that he is orange, Johnny would have then said "We forgot to cover the mirror".
- The episode shares (and may well have taken) its title from the movie Home Alone, in which a young boy finds himself alone in a house without his parents and other relatives. Similarly, the Dumping Ground kids find themselves in this episode without any responsible adults.
- Lily comments that her dad and his girlfriend can discuss baby names whilst she is staying at the DG. This is the first reference to Shannay and said baby is born, and named Jonah, in the episode Baby.
- Faith is 15.
- Mike is mistakenly referred to as "Mulligan", again.
- In the final episode of Tracy Beaker Returns, a new care worker named "Melanie" arrives to take Tracy's place. However, she is completely absent in the new series without any explanation to her whereabouts.
- In the first episode of Tracy Beaker Returns, Gina declares to Mike that they need another care worker. Starting with this episode, Mike and Gina seem to be fine with the fact there are now only two care workers as opposed to three.
- First appearance of Rick's vinyl records.
- The episode takes place on a Tuesday, given we later learn in What Would Gus Want that Gus eats macaroni on Tuesdays.
Gus (holding a grenade): Everything's wrong without Mike and Gina!
Gus (seeing that he is stained with henna): My face! My hair! I'm orange!