|Series 1, Episode 1|
|Air date||4th January 2013|
|Written by||Elly Brewer|
|Directed by||Craig Lines|
Goodbye Tracy Beaker
Liberty in the DG
|“|| Elektra: Why do we need a relief care worker when we've got you?|
Faith: I'm only 15, I'm not looking after you lot!
The Dumping Ground residents are left to fend for themselves after Mike goes on holiday and Gina ends up hospitalised. But will everyone be able to get along without adult supervision? Meanwhile, all the change of routine and the constant arguing from everyone else pushes Gus to breaking point, that potential put's everyone's life in danger.
- The episode premiered at an ealier time of 16:30 as opposed to the regular time slot of 17:00.
- First appearance of Leanne Dunstan as Faith Davis.
- The original (back-to-back) broadcast deleted all lines and scenes referring to the girls wanting to go to the Year 12 party, as well as the scenes at the end where Gus leaves his room for a bath, is given things by everyone on the way and sees that he is orange.
- This is the only series premiere of "The Dumping Ground" to have footage cut on its original broadcast.
- Sapphire has left the Dumping ground prior to this episode, as revealed when Harry wants to visit her, and Faith reminds him that she now lives "too far away" for him to visit.
- In the shooting script available from the BBC's website, after Gus discovers that he is orange, Johnny would have then said "We forgot to cover the mirror".
- The episode shares (and may well have taken) its title from the movie Home Alone, in which a young boy finds himself alone in a house without his parents and other relatives. Similarly, the Dumping Ground kids find themselves in this episode without any responsible adults.
- Lily comments that her dad and his girlfriend can discuss baby names whilst she is staying at the DG. This is foreshadowing the episode Baby, where Shannay (the girlfriend) first appears, and said baby is born, and named Jonah.
- Faith is revealed to be 15 years old.
- Mike is mistakenly referred to as "Mulligan", again.
- First appearance of Rick's vinyl records.
- The episode takes place on a Tuesday, given we later learn in What Would Gus Want that Gus eats macaroni on Tuesdays.
- When the first grenade goes off at the start of the episode, whilst everyone was screaming you could hear some of them laughing a bit.
- No one mentions or seems to notice that Tracy's replacement Melanie has left.
- Mike and Gina don't seem to be bothered about having a third care assistant anymore.
Gus (holding a grenade): Everything's wrong without Mike and Gina!
Gus (seeing that he is stained with henna): My face! My hair! I'm orange!